It’s Decorative Gourd Season, Motherfuckers.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? Injected myself with a needle in the STOMACH for god’s sake. Cooked a holiday dinner for my family all by myself. Bought a house.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I’m terrible at remembering what my resolutions were, so I’m going to go with no, I didn’t keep them. I do have some for the coming year. They include making at least 2 homemade meals a week, getting back into yoga, and taking time to do little things for myself.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Nope. Early in the coming year though.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No. Knock on wood.
5. What places did you visit? Canada, Virginia, & Florida. All family related travels.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? A baby.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The date of my miscarriage – November 17, 2012
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Making it through the year, (relatively) sane, and still happy in my marriage.
9. What was your biggest failure? My first instinct is to say “not being able to have a baby” but I’m getting off that train to negative town. So I’ll say work something mumble mumble let’s not talk about work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I had a few bouts of illness, plus the miscarriage. My body was pretty wacked out from the fertility drugs.
11. What was the best thing you bought? We bought a bedroom set, and LOVE it. We both agree it is the most comfortable bed we’ve ever slept on. Plus, we now have room to store all of our clothes (damn you, old charming houses with miniscule closets!)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Tammy’s, always. She keeps me going.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Various extended family members that I’m not going to name. They all seem to have similar traits though, that grate on my nerves. I read somewhere that the traits you most dislike in others, you really dislike in yourself. God, I hope that’s not the case.
14. Where did most of your money go? First to the down payment on our house and then to unsuccessful baby-makin’.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? My pregnancy.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012? Somebody that I used to know by Gotye. Not because the lyrics were significant, but because I heard it, loved it, and played it about 3 million times in a row until I hated it.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Sadder.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. Damn fertility drugs!
c) richer or poorer? Ha! Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Yoga. Time with Tammy. I wish I’d started cooking sooner. Standing up for myself at work.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Sitting in the house, depressed, avoiding pregnant people or babies. Those fuckers are everywhere – it’s not safe to go outside! But also, being short and snappy with Tammy. I hate that tendency in myself to get frustrated with something unrelated and be an asshole to people around me.
20. How did you spend Christmas last year? At my parent’s house…working remotely. That sucked, but it’s always good to be with my parents.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? Stayed in love, how about that? And I fell in love with the embryo that I didn’t get to keep. What ever happened to “you break it, you buy it”?
22. What was your favorite TV program? I’m literally years late on this one, but we started watching Battlestar Galactica and LOVED it.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2012? Tammy took me on a double pedicure date (the first pedicure she’s ever had. I know, what?!) and out to dinner. Oh, and my date with a vial of sperm and a cold speculum.
24. What was the best book you read? I read so many books this year, it’s impossible for me to pick one. A few that come to mind are: The Hunger Games Trilogy, Flight Behavior (in the middle of this one, but so far it’s good), and The Red Tent.
25. What did you want and get? We’d been dreaming about owning a home for years, and it finally came true!
26. What did you want and not get? Ugh, I’m a broken record: a baby.
27. What was your favorite film of this year? I haven’t seen Les Miserables yet, and I’m dying to. This weekend, for sure! I can only assume that will be my favorite. But wait! That’s not this year! Umm…I have no idea.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? Nope. Neurotic, intraverted homebody to the core.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? (Ok, not saying baby for this one AGAIN) I wish we’d gotten the house closer to “done”. We still have a lot of little (and big) projects to do.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? This was the year I started caring a lot more about comfort than style. So “personal fashion concept” is probably a misnomer.
31. What kept you sane? Tammy. The fact that even though money is tight, we CAN try again. My parents.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? No idea on this one. I will always love me so me Hillary Clinton, but it’s not like I want to sleep with her. Does that count?
33. What political issue stirred you the most? It was awesome to see the country move toward marriage equality. Leaps and bounds, y’all!
34. Who did you miss? I miss my co-workers that left for other jobs this year.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. You cannot control everything. Remember to breath.